PREGNANCY / PRENATAL MASSAGE at Health In The Bay.
Please note that as of September 2020, Jie has finished at Health In The Bay, so we can no longer take more bookings for her. Please check back soon for notice of our great new massage therapist.
Pregnancy is one of the most amazing things you will ever experience – your body growing another human! With such a huge job comes some very significant changes to you and your body, both physical and physiological. These changes can result in aches, pains, muscle imbalances, joint issues and fatigue. Pregnancy massage is similar to other massages in such it uses regular massage techniques, tailored to suit you and your stage of pregnancy. Just as with other massages it helps to relieve pain, soothe tight and sore muscles, and supports your body in continuing to change and adapt to the progressing pregnancy. It also, just as importantly allows you to stop and nurture yourself.
Pregnancy massage can be used during all stages of pregnancy, but some therapists will not recommend massage in the first trimester. If you are unsure please check with your health care practitioner, especially if you have had at risk pregnancies or complications in the past.
Benefits of pre-natal massage.
- Helps ease back, neck and shoulder pains, which can come from changes due to increased weight and change in body shape.
- Helps reduce swelling in hands and feet by improving circulation.
- Helps reduce pain in pelvic area.
- Helps reduce fatigue and can improve sleep.
- Promotes relaxation of the nervous system as it releases endorphins into the mother’s body.
Women should speak to their health care practitioner before receiving a massage if they have any of the following conditions:
- Previous pre-term labour.
- Severe swelling or high blood pressure.
- Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH).
- High risk pregnancy.
- Recent bleeding.
- Recently gave birth.